From 1946 until the last engine was built in 1959 there were over
250 GE 70 ton switchers built. The intent was to produce a locomotive
best suited for switching, branch lines and transfer service. The
end cab was determined to be used based on the instillation of a six cylinder
600 horsepower Cooper-Bessemer engine. Power to the wheels was done
using four GE traction motors.
Variations of these engines were ordered new as well as over time
being altered by their owners.